Thursday, June 24, 2010

My Strange Broccoli

Hey there!

I don't mean to be failblogging two days in a row, but now let's turn our attention to my broccoli. This is my first time trying to grow the stuff, and judging by the height of the plants, it's doing well:


The plants are strong, look healthy, and growing huge. Except for one problem....

There's no broccoli in them.


Again, this is my first time growing them so maybe I don't understand their life cycle correctly, but shouldn't I at least see some nascent broccoli head somewhere in the plant? Here's a shot looking down into the top of the plant:


There's some new leaves growing there at the top of the stalk, but nothing that resembles broccoli. Here's a view from the side:


Nice stout stalk, no broccoli head. I've composted them twice, kept them weeded and watered...any idea what is going on? Am I just being too anxious? Your thoughts/opinions/comments are welcome...

3 comments:

  1. Did you ever get any broccoli? We have the same issue. I think it's too hot. Broccoli really only likes to set fruit in spring or in the fall. We just planted some seedlings, so going to see if it does better in the September-ish timeframe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tons. Got a great tip from my horticulturist friend: scare it. She said that for broccoli, like other plants, flowering and seeding are signs of the plant trying to propagate itself before it dies to allow the species to live on. My broccoli was apparently getting plenty of nitrogen, plenty of water, and was not at all worried about its own survival.

    My friend recommended that I not water the plants at all for five or six days. I did that, and within a few days after that period, I started seeing broccoli florets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, that's very interesting. Yeah, our broccoli is currently living the good life, maybe that's the problem.

    ReplyDelete