Saturday, February 21, 2009

So It Begins!

I've just received notice that part of my order from Henry Field's Seeds has shipped. My garden will soon start indoors, then migrate outside once the conditions are right. On the way are:
  • Tendersweet carrots
  • Honey 'N Pearl hybrid corn
  • First Edition hybrid onion
  • Bon Vivant mixed lettuce (romaine, buttercrisp, iceberg)
There's more to go, of course. One of the reasons I like Field's is that they are responsible with shipping dates. In the next two months, as appropriate, they will also send us:
  • 6 Early Girl tomato plants
  • 12 everbearing strawberry
  • 2 blueberry bushes
Those additions will finish off our garden for this year. Last year, we tried raspberries, carrots, zucchini, and pumpkin. The raspberries were great. The carrots tasted good, but we didn't thin them enough and so our crop was about the size of baby carrots! The zucchini plant didn't pollinate well, and we only got one fruit. The pumpkin plant damped off at the roots and never produced. We're hoping for better luck this year.

Soon, I'll set up seed tray and florescent lights in my basement and start growing seedlings! Pictures of my babies will follow, of course....

No comments:

Post a Comment