Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Today's Bounty

I'm generally home on Tuesdays and Thursdays, since I watch the girls while Melissa works (although I've picked up an ongoing Tuesday morning job, so it's more like a half day). Anyway, today was a fairly productive whole foods day.

In preparation for my backpacking trip this weekend, I dehydrated some apples and bananas, and I made cranberry-raisin granola bars that are really good--it's a simple recipe that I'll definitely use again. Since I'm supplying the bread for the camping trip (surprise, surprise), I baked up four sourdough boules (pictured below). Oh yeah, I also tried my hand at English muffins, which came out fairly nicely and taste great, although I'd like to see more holes (or "nooks and crannies") in the crumb:

The sourdough didn't exhibit much oven spring, and I was sorely tempted to cut one open to check its texture, but I resisted. The loaves will be what they will be, and I doubt that hungry hikers in the snow 10 miles from anywhere will much care if the bread isn't as airy as I would like it.

Time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Back in October I bought our last loaf of store bought bread, and haven't looked back since. I wasn't trying to be all healthy or anything, I was just trying to save a buck here and there...and I had this brilliant thought to dust off the ol' breadmaker and give it a try. I only use the breadmaker to do the dough, and then I bake it in the oven in a bread pan - more realistic that way. I love it - the boys love it! It took a while, but I finally found a recipe that hit home for us. We love potato bread, and this bread has a lot of similarities to Orowheat Potato Bread. It's a Honey White, and I love that there are only 6 ingredients. Let me tell you, French Bread is to die for with this stuff! I haven't yet done English muffins, although I keep thinking about it...you can pass your recipe along!

    As for the garden, I want to try one this year. However, having never personally had a garden, I don't know where to start or what to do. And I don't want to start off too big either. But I think just a tomato plant or two would "pay for itself" the first time a tomato comes off the vine! All 3 boys just love tomatoes!! Any ideas or suggestions would gladly be accepted (hint hint!) And yes, keep us posted on yours!

    Keep it up - I'll be keeping tabs on this blog now. Share a recipe or three with us, will ya?!

    ReplyDelete