Sunday, April 5, 2009

Snow, huh?

Tonight has seen about 1/2" on snow accumulate on the new garden. More is expected tomorrow and Tuesday, with wind gusts up to 35mph tomorrow.

I'm not worried about the strawberries. They're sheltered under mulch, and probably were still cold-dormant anyway. The lettuce and onion seedlings? Not so sure.

Before the snow started in earnest, I ransacked the house for big Tupperware bins (Melissa even offered up two under-the-bed trays that hold her off-season clothing), and I inverted them over the seedlingsand weighted them down with loose stones. I'm hoping these makeshift cloches will provide a little warmth against the chill and shelter from the predicted winds.

We'll see. This is the time everything said to put these crops out; I'm guessing cold is expected four weeks before the last frost, right?

I believe. Help my unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment