Friday, May 15, 2009

Eureka

I think I've found the recipe for 100% whole wheat sandwich bread:

1 c. warm water
1/3 c. sugar
2 1/2 t. instant yeast

2 T canola oil
1 1/2 t. lemon juice
3 c (12 3/4 oz) whole wheat flour
3/4 t. salt

Combine the water, sugar and yeast; stir and let it sit a bit until it becomes foamy. Mix the dry ingredients and add the yeast mixture. Stir until dough is formed then knead a fair amount: about 15 minutes or more. The dough should be slightly tacky, but not overly sticky, and shouldn't tear easily when you stretch it. Form it into a boule and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a wet cloth or oiled plastic wrap and let rise 90 min to 2 hrs. To develop the flavor a bit more, you can place the dough in the refrigerator. This will make the rise time longer, perhaps 3 hrs, but will deepen the flavor.

Gently transfer from bowl to shaping surface, and shape a batard loaf, then gently place in an oiled baking pan. Let rise again for an hour or so, until the top of the dough peaks somewhat over the rim of the pan. Just before baking, brush the top with butter and slash in your preferred design.

Bake in a preheated 350-deg over for 40-50 min, or until the internal temperature of the bread reaches 190-200 degrees.

Here's what my loaf looked like:


I have to say, this is one of the best sandwich loafs I've ever made. It is incredibly soft--even more soft than my regular white sandwich bread--and so tasty you can eat a slice without any adornment. The flavor of the whole wheat is wonderful: warm and nutty and delicious.

I'm a happy boy, especially if I can reproduce this loaf week after week.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiments. That's a nice looking loaf. Kristin made some sandwich bread the other day, I think based on your regular recipe and it turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Glad to hear it. I love that four-ingredient sandwich loaf recipe. I seemed to be almost foolproof, which is saying something when I'm in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete