Thursday, May 14, 2009

Training Wheels No More

Okay, I thought I was a pretty decent bread baker, but now I know I've been coddled. Turns out white flour will forgive a lot of inconsistencies, sloppy technique, and errors in timing. With whole wheat flour: not so much.

The first recipe turned out really dense, trencher-like bread. Flavor was good, but not really the kind of stuff you'd use for a sandwich. The second recipe made dough that was really strange. Also resulted in a good taste (Ellie really likes it), but I think i let it overrise and the top collapsed in the oven. Also, the crumb is really moist (good), but more the consistency of banana bread (bad, at least for sandwich bread).

So, I'm sorta back to square one, and casting about for the recipe that fits me and my process the best. Working with whole wheat, you really have to know the feel of dough, and be able to tell with your hands when it's ready, when it needs more flour or water, etc. Don't ever START learning with whole wheat flour--it'd be too discouraging.

I'll keep slogging away. The downside is that while doctors can bury their mistakes, bakers have to EAT theirs...

No comments:

Post a Comment