Thursday, March 25, 2010

Calling My Bluff

Sometimes, gardening is easy (after all, we live in the Midwest). I throw some lettuce seeds or carrot seeds into the ground, water them occasionally, and soon have a bumper crop. It's easy to think I'm getting pretty good at this gardening stuff. And then I order something that calls my bluff.


Grow that, garden boy!


Henry Field's Seed Company tells me those sticks are a Sweet Sixteen apple tree on a dwarf rootstock and three red raspberry plants. Sure they are. Don't come to me for your apple pie or raspberry jam this year. Or next year either, I suspect. If I can actually get fruit and berries from these sticks, then I might start to think I'm a capable gardener. 


Or not.



1 comment:

  1. You will have raspberries. I started a bush from one of my neighbor's roots. Took hold like crazy. Bloomed first year.

    ReplyDelete