Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Problem of Irrigation

Proper watering was my most difficult challenge last year. "Proper" here has two meanings: 1) distributing the correct amount of water to the plants' roots, and 2) using appropriate and sustainable water management practices. In order to encourage deep rooting and healthy growth, the soil around the roots needs to be irrigated down at least 6" or more. When watering by hose and sprayer, as I did last season, it takes a long time of standing and aiming the water in one place to achieve more than just a surface watering. Add to that problem is that watering the ground outside the root zone is inefficient and watering the foliage can actually encourage some fungus and disease.

Last year, I also installed a rain barrel to use water more responsibly--yes, we live by a huge sea of fresh water, but the more I can re-use from rain, the more Lake Michigan for everyone--but using the rainwater means filling a two-gallon watering can one trip at a time, and then repeating the inefficiencies mentioned above with even more time involved and through much more manual labor.

So this year, I'm experimenting with installing a gravity-fed Drip Irrigation system. I'll be installing it in late March and early April, while I'm preparing my beds and before I plant anything. If all goes as planned, I'll keep my rain barrel on my wheeled garden cart under the downspout where it gets roof runoff. then, when needed, I'll haul the cart and barrel over to the garden, and with a quick hose connection and a twisted spigot, deliver recycled rainwater directly to the roots of my vegetables and herbs with no wastage and very little effort.

That, at least is the idyllic dream, in which you will allow me my indulgence for the nonce. Stay tuned to this blog for the harsh realities of the challenges which will inevitably arise...

2 comments:

  1. Take a look at www.rainwatergardening.com - a British website with an alternative way to water from a rain barrel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sweet! That may have to be next year's upgrade...

    Thanks for letting me know about it.

    ReplyDelete