Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Rain Gutter Strawberry Beds


Those humble-looking additions to the souther wall of my house are my new strawberry beds. Like I mentioned in my last post, my old bed wasn't being fully utilized by the plants, so I installed these. There are nothing more than a 10' length of vinyl rain gutter cut into two 5' pieces and secured to the wall. There are drainage holes drilled at intervals along the bottom, which completely wrecks them as actual rain gutters but makes them much better planters.


Now, 17 strawberry plants call these gutters home. We also hope they'll be easier to protect from squirrels and birds, once we overlay them with deer netting. I think slugs or other creepy-crawlies might have a harder time scaling the wall to get at them, too! The best part is, now my strawberry take up absolutely zero "floor space" in my garden and are located in one of the sunniest places in my yard. Hopefully, I'll take pictures of them in coming months, brimming with berries.

2 comments:

  1. Like I mentioned in my last post, my old bed wasn't being fully utilized by the plants..gutters adelaide

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some great tools that i definitely use for SEO work. This is a great list to use in the future.. cheap leather sofas for sale

    ReplyDelete