Saturday, April 17, 2010

In the "See, I'm not Crazy" Department



Student Melanie Christion, 17, tends to the fish farm at Chicago High School of Agricultural Science, which is raising 1,000 tilapia. The school's farm operates at commercial grade, but not on a commercial scale. (Photo: Zbigniew Bzdak, Chicago TribuneApril 11, 2010)


Urban fish farming: Will it catch on in Chicago? - chicagotribune.com

Next week, I'm planning on taking a journey to Milwaukee with a friend to tour Growing Power, an urban aquaponics operation that is becoming more and more well known. But, there are things happening right here in our little Chicago, as well! I may have to add the Chicago High School of Agricultural Science to my tour itinerary, to see how they're doing things. I wonder if Alderman Bernie Stone will be as receptive to such endeavors.

The Bareford aquaponics project has no official start date yet, but it will happen. Oh yes, it will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment