Monday, May 3, 2010

Hidden Treasures


Since we moved into this house in 2000, there's been a little shed attached to the back of the house. Not quite tall enough to stand up in, not quite big enough to store the lawnmower in, and not terribly eye-appealing made of aging plywood, it's been on our list to demolish for some time.

This weekend, I started on the project, mostly because I noticed there were at least six 2x4s that framed the shed, which I could subsequently use for finishing the edging around one of the raised beds in my garden. As I started to unmake the little structure from the roof down, I found that sandwiched between the peeling plywood outside and the pegboard inside, the shed was completely clad--on all four walls and the roof--with 1x6 planks.

And the planks are made of cedar.

Someone spent a pretty penny for this shed back in its day, and then they or subsequent owners went on to completely hide the best parts of it. Anyway, I got my 2x4s and finished my raised bed, and now I have piles of beautiful straight cedar planks that have been seasoned for decades but protected by the weather the whole time. A list of possible projects is scrolling through my brain...

I love finding buried treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment